ACS Publications in India hiring Development Editors. Highly motivated candidates [fresh Ph.D.’s (Thesis submitted and waiting for defense) are preferred] are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates can send their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACS Publications is rapidly expanding its global editorial presence in key markets and the Development Editor will have the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth phase. The Development Editor will work with Editors and ACS staff to support implementation of ACS journals’ publishing strategies and editorial initiatives to sustain and enhance ACS journals’ standing within the global chemistry community. The Development Editor will collaborate with the Editors and ACS staff in planning, recruiting, and commissioning content, and monitor progress of ACS journals against competitors, specifically in India. The Development Editor will represent ACS journals within the scientific community through laboratory visits and conferences primarily in India and support outreach activities planned in partnerships with different organizations in India.
The Development Editor will also be responsible for supporting and driving the editorial peer review process and coordinating the communication of editorial decisions for journals. S/he will screen manuscripts, support and manage scientific evaluation of manuscripts, write rationales and communicate editorial decisions, facilitate manuscript transfers, and handle appeals. The incumbent will be required to effectively communicate with editors on a routine basis to build a strong rapport, and to ensure consistency across editorial decision making. A high degree of professionalism in both written and verbal communications, as well as in-depth technical knowledge to address scientific questions are essential.
The incumbent reports to the Senior Editorial Staff based in ACS Delhi office. The qualified candidate will be comfortable working with external stakeholders including editors and authors, S/he should be willing to learn about new scientific fields to understand the breadth of research published in the journal and its relationship to other journals in the ACS portfolio as the scope of the journal evolves. The incumbent will assist the Managing Editor, Executive Editors, and Editor in-Chief in streamlining the journal’s peer review processes, with a focus on maintaining a positive author experience.
Help to develop and implement strategic initiatives for ACS journals covering different subject areas in India. Monitoring journals covering different subject areas in India. Monitoring competitor journals and reporting on issues/trends to ACS staff at regular intervals, including during journals’ meetings; assisting in drafting reports on journal performance.
- Identify, build relationships with, and recruit new authors and research communities to commission high quality content relevant for ACS journals. Collaborate with Editors and ACS Staff and other stakeholders to consistently deliver content for publication.
- Represent ACS journals at site visits, strategic scientific conferences, and exhibits to acquire and maintain a deep understanding of the needs and trends within the communities served by the journals and publications portfolio. Maintain contact with authors, reviewers, and outside experts including those in the publishing industry.
- Coordinate and support editorial outreach events to support ACS Publications priorities in India.
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief, Executive Editors, Associate Editors, and Managing Editor with:
- Screening and evaluation of submitted manuscripts for suitability for a journal
Communication of editorial decisions .
- Development, organization, and dissemination of internal documents to facilitate the peer-review process (criteria for decisions, decision messages, communication/collaboration.
- Refinement of the editorial peer review processes for a with editorial offices) journal, in collaboration with the editorial team and journal staff.
- Facilitate the workflow for transfer of declined manuscripts to other ACS journals (requires understanding journal scopes across a subset of the ACS Publications portfolio as well as establishing relationships with the editorial teams of sister ACS journals).
Works under general managerial supervision direction on journal goals and objectives. Work involves creative and adaptive thinking. Resolves non-routine problems by applying general policies, practices, procedures, and principles. Performs in-depth analyses of standard problems and recommends resolutions. This position will be based in the Delhi office of ACSI, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the American Chemical Society.
- Proactive approach to problem-solving strong resourcefulness, self-confidence, and self-motivation is a must, spreadsheets, and slide preparation for the presentation.
- Ph.D. in Chemical, Physical or Engineering Sciences, candidates who have submitted their Ph.D. thesis are especially encouraged to apply.
- Experience in STM publishing and any other relevant organization (Academia or Industry) will be a plus Broad subject knowledge in chemistry and related fields with a willingness to learn new subject areas and comfortable with different subject communities outside her/his expertise.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, ability to relate successfully to a variety of people externally and internally and form strong working relationships with other members of staff, authors, reviewers and editors.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills (good use of language, grammar, and syntax).
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure, manage own workload, prioritize and to meet deadlines.
- Proactive approach to problem-solving strong resourcefulness, self-confidence, and self-motivation.
- Highly responsive to email communications and experienced at using computer software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and slide preparation for presentation .
- Strong resourcefulness, proactive and flexible attitude, ability to understand different cultures and behaviors.
- Medium travel within India and one International travel in a year.
- Based in Delhi office of ACSI, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the American Chemical Society.