Job title: Scientific Editor, Life Science Alliance
Contract duration: 1 year (renewal depending on the circumstances)
Closing date: 1 March 2021
Life Science Aliance is a global, open-access, editorially independent, and peer-reviewed journal founded by an alliance of EMBO Press, Rockefeller University Press, and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.Launched in 2018, Life Science Alliance has now published over 400 manuscripts. The journal Life Science Alliance is committed to rapid, fair, and transparent publication of valuable research from across all areas in the life sciences.Life Science Alliance receives direct submissions and is integrated into an innovative transfer network with the research journals published by the alliance partners.
EMBO Solutions, a wholly owned subsidiary of EMBO, fosters science and research by organising scientific events, courses and workshops. EMBO Solutions is headquartered in Heidelberg, Germany.
EMBO Solutions is seeking a highly motivated scientist with broad and international high-level research experience for the role of scientific editor at the journal Life Science Alliance to complement the international editorial team of the journal. The scientific editor has a diverse set of responsibilities towards ensuring that Life Science Alliance publishes peer-reviewed material of the highest quality.
As part of the editorial team of Life Science Alliance, the successful candidate will be responsible for selecting research papers and reviews in a broad range of biomolecular research areas. The candidate will be expected to form extensive contacts to the scientific community and engage in travel to conferences and research institutions as directed.
- In the assigned subject areas, critical evaluation of submitted manuscripts, identification of suitable academic editors/editorial advisory board advisors/reviewers,interpretation of reviewer reports and author responses. Decisions on the publication, revision or rejection of submitted research manuscripts or manuscripts transferred from Life Science Alliance partner journals. Professional and scholarly communication with authors to justify the editorial decisions
- If so directed, commissioning, peer review and developmental editing of reviews in the assigned subject areas
- Acceptance of manuscripts for publication that meet Life Science Alliance publication policies and the transfer of production-ready files for editorial production and online publication
- Attendance of conferences and visits to research institutions to represent Life Science Alliance
- Involvement in publicity and social media activities
- Writing and editing of highlights, summaries and press releases
- Attendance of regular editorial meetings
- Perform additional tasks as required by the directors of Life Science Alliance LLC
This position will occasionally require travel and working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend.
- As Scientific Editor, you should have completed one or more successful postdoctoral fellowships. Prior editorial experience is an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- We welcome applications from experts in any of the life and biomedical sciences.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, international academic environment is essential.
- The role requires excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and a decisive, judicious, detail-oriented, analytical and impartial mind.
- Good organizational skills, multi-tasking, an ability to prioritise and to follow guidelines while working autonomously are expected.
Why join us
The EMBO Solutions offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a lively university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO Solutions is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits. The remuneration package includes a competitive salary and social security.
What else do you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Please apply by 1 March 2021 by sending a CV with bibliographic information, a short biosketch to describe your research papers, as well as a short cover letter outlining why you are attracted to the position and how your background and expertise would benefit the journal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not include photographs or bibliometrics.